On June 20, we spent much of the evening, and early night, without
power. It's 4 pm on June 21, and the power has gone again.

A phone to 2409190 (the skeleton-staffed office at the Saligao
panchayat) draws a polite response, voicing surprise that lights have
gone, and asking whether one phase or three have gone. All three!

The voice offers to phone back, after checking up with the sub-station.
Generally, one gets phones-off-the-hook or call-someone-else replies.

        Saligao's power woes are hard to understand. Apparently,
        we get fed our power from the Baga and Porvorim feeders.
        Since we are on the end of the route in the first case,
        any problem en route means our power gets cut off.

Maad-poddla vater (there's a coconut tree fallen along the route), one
was told. So, no power! I'm typing this with an inverter backup!

Could someone from the Saligao civic and consumers forum give us an
insight into what exactlly the problem is? Maybe a coordinated action
could help us get a faster solution. We've been suffering this for
simply too long! FN

PS: After the April 20 cyclonic winds, one part of Saligao had no power
for 36 hours, and the other for 24 hours! Earlier this month, half the
village had no lights for an entire night. The other half, for another
night! Apart from that, we have regular breakdowns of 3-4 hours with
amazing regularity.
--
Frederick Noronha (FN) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Independent Journalist