Hi All,

I generally refrain from stepping into any such 'hot topics' but thought I 
might put out an 'FYI' to anyone interested in knowing. I am neither condoning 
'The church's history nor trying to make amends for it - that is another 
matter. 

What I would like to be known is that members of the Saligao church have 
organized beneficial activities for the poor that were conducted on the church 
premises and many if not most of the beneficiaries of this program were in fact 
our non-Catholic brethren who were very appreciative of what was being done for 
them.

How do I know this to be true? Because I was one of the group who rendered 
mainly educational services which ranged from sewing classes to math tutoring. 
We did this free of charge and after an entire day's work!

I also know of members of the Church (nurses) who organized free clinics and 
dispensed free medication mainly to this same demographic in remote villages of 
Goa.

I do not deny that there may be tensions occasionally between certain 
communities, but on the whole the people of Saligao do not really see 
themselves as either 'Catholic' or 'Hindu.' Come feast time, one could see many 
Hindus lining the street with candles lit whenever a procession was passing 
their home. Go to church on Wednesday and one will probably find a couple 
of Hindus venerating our lady. They do not see us as any different from them - 
why should we?

Just something to think about :)

Jenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Frederick Noronha [फ़र ेदरिक नोर ोनया] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 2:56 pm
Subject: Re: [SALIGAONET] REFLECTIONS



Hi Joe, Let those who want to support this venture do so. Those who do
ot want to do so, are not compelled to.
To argue that taking up a church issue is being "divisive" is like
aying that International Women's Day (tomorrow, March 8) is a
divisive" event, since it excludes men!
On 07/03/2008, dilip dacruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 6. Lastly, lets ask ourselves the question: How many non-Catholics are
 active members of this web site? Answer 'zero'. Why? Because we tend to be
 divisive by over-doing the church thing and making them feel excluded. I
 recollect once we even had the church services published on-site. Can't the
 church manage its own web site? C'mon, of course it can, and it should.  Do
 we ever say any thing about our Hindu brethren? Do we talk about the temple
 services/ events? No. Given their exposure on our site one could be excused
 for thinking they didn't exist in saligao.
> Any questions? Ask me when you see me at church on Sunday
I won't be there, but let's give people the freedom to support the
auses they see as being important to them. FN
- 
---------------------------------------------------------
rederick 'FN' Noronha   | Ym/Gmailtalk: fredericknoronha
ttp://fn.goa-india.org     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ndependent Journalist   | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9970157402
---------------------------------------------------------
______________________________________________
aligao 403511 website http://saligao.goa-india.org
aligaonet mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ttp://lists.goacom.org/mailman/listinfo/saligaonet

_______________________________________________
Saligao 403511 website http://saligao.goa-india.org
Saligaonet mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.goacom.org/mailman/listinfo/saligaonet
  • [SALIGA... Frederick Noronha [फ़र ेदरिक नोर ोनया]
    • RE... ANNETTE D'SOUZA
      • ... dilip dacruz
        • ... Frederick Noronha [फ़र ेदरिक नोर ोनया]
          • ... mferna6612
        • ... ANNETTE D'SOUZA
      • ... Patricia Nazareth
        • ... Eric Cordeiro
          • ... ANNETTE D'SOUZA

Reply via email to