Cities and urban regions can make coherent sense, can metabolize efficiently,
can use their very complexity to solve problems, and can become so resilient
they “bounce forward” when stressed.

In this urbanizing century ever more of us live in cities, and cities all over
the world are learning from each other how pragmatic governance can work best.
Jonathan Rose argues that the emerging best methods focus on deftly managing
“cognition, cooperation, culture, calories, connectivity, commerce, control,
complexity, and concentration.”

Unlike most urban theorists and scholars, Rose is a player.  A third-generation
Manhattan real estate developer, in 1989 he founded and heads the Jonathan Rose
Company, which does world-wide city planning and investment along with its
real-estate projects--half of the work for nonprofit clients.  He is the author
of the new book, THE WELL-TEMPERED CITY: What Modern Science, Ancient
Civilizations, and Human Nature Teach Us About the Future of Urban Life.
[NOTE: We’re back in the renovated and great Herbst Theater on Van Ness, just a
couple blocks from our usual SFJazz.]

"The Well Tempered City," Jonathan Rose, the Herbst Theater, Civic Center, San
Francisco, 7pm, Tuesday, September 20.  The show starts promptly at 7:30pm.

To be sure of a seat:
• Long Now Members <https://longnow.org/membership/> can use the discount code
on the Rose Seminar page to reserve 2 free seats
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02016/sep/20/well-tempered-city/>.
• You can purchase tickets for $15 each
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02016/sep/20/well-tempered-city/>.
• Seminar at the Herbst Theater <http://sfwmpac.org/directions-parking> 401 Van
Ness Avenue, San Francisco CA 94102
• Tune into the live audio stream <http://longnow.org/live/> for Long Now
Members at 7:30 PT - become a member <https://longnow.org/membership/> for just
$8 a month.
Share this talk: Jonathan Rose, "The Well Tempered City" Long Now talk on 9/20
https://goo.gl/SlqOFA <https://goo.gl/SlqOFA>

Talks coming up:
Oct. 4 (Tue.) - David Eagleman, The Brain and The Now - at the Member Summit
<https://longnow.org/events/02016/oct/04/long-now-member-summit>
Nov. 1 (Mon.) - Douglas Coupland, The Extreme Present
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02016/nov/01/extreme-present/>
Dec. 6 & 7 (Tue. & Wed.) - Rick Prelinger, Lost Landscapes of San Francisco, 11
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02016/dec/06/lost-landscapes-san-francisco-11/>

High-quality videos of the talks and other benefits (such as priority tickets)
are available to Long Now members.  Membership, which starts at $8/month
($96/year), helps support the series and other Long Now projects. Joinable here
<https://longnow.org/membership/>.

This is one of a monthly series of Seminars About Long-term Thinking (SALT)
organized by The Long Now Foundation.  Free audio and my summaries of all
previous talks are available for download here <http://longnow.org/seminars/>
(or stay up to date with the podcast here
<http://longnow.org/seminars/podcast/>).  You'll find a range of long-term
thinking items on our Blog <http://blog.longnow.org/> (RSS
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/longnow>).  If you would like to be notified by
email (like this one) of forthcoming talks, go here
<http://list.longnow.org/mailman/listinfo/salt> to sign up online. Any
questions, contact Danielle Engelman at Long Now -- 415-561-6582 x1
<tel:415-561-6582%20x1> or danie...@longnow.org <mailto:danie...@longnow.org>.

SALT talk videos are made possible by Whole Earth Films together with a grant
from Margaret & Will Hearst, and are a production of FORA.tv Studios
<http://fora.tv/services/foratv-studios/> in association with Sustainability
Media <http://sustainabilitymedia.com/>.

You are welcome to forward this note to anyone you think might be interested.

 --Stewart Brand  s...@longnow.org <mailto:s...@longnow.org>

ALSO:
02016 marks The Long Now Foundation's 20th year and we are holding our first
ever Long Now Member Summit
<https://longnow.org/events/02016/oct/04/long-now-member-summit/#tickets> to
showcase and connect with our amazing members on Tuesday October 4, 02016 from
noon to 11:30pm.

David Eagleman will give the keynote, “The Brain and the Now," and will be
joined for the Q&A by Long Now board members.  We’ll also have Long Now project
updates, Ignite talks, and an unconference.  And dinner at Greens or a Food
Truck picnic, with the evening party featuring storied drinks from The
Interval.

--
The Long Now Foundation -- http://longnow.org/ <http://longnow.org/>
Seminars & downloads -- http://longnow.org/seminars/