Long Now co-founder Danny Hillis and SALT speaker Steven Johnson recommend Juan
Benet as an exceptional theorist as well as player in shaping how world
communications can become ever safer and freer over time.  Blockchain is only
part of it.

"We're a century into our computing phase transition,” Benet says.  "The latest
stages have created astonishing powers for individuals, groups, and our species
as a whole.  We are also faced with accumulating dangers.  In light of the
promethean fire that is computing, we must prevent bad outcomes and lock in
good ones to build robust foundations for our knowledge, and a safe future.
There is much we can do in the short-term to secure the long-term.

"I come from the front lines of computing platform design to share a number of
new super-powers at our disposal, some old challenges that are now soluble, and
some new open problems.  In this next decade, we’ll need to leverage
peer-to-peer networks, crypto-economics, blockchains, Open Source, Open
Services, decentralization, incentive-structure engineering, and so much more
to ensure the short-term safety and long-term flourishing of humanity.”

Juan Benet is the inventor of the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS)---a new
protocol which uses content-addressing to make the web faster, safer, and more
open—and the creator of Filecoin, a cryptocurrency-incentivized storage market

"Long Term Infostructure," Juan Benet, SFJAZZ Center, Hayes Valley, San
Francisco, 7pm, Monday August 6.  The show starts promptly at 7:30pm.

To be sure of a seat:
• Long Now Members <https://longnow.org/membership/> can use the discount code
on the Benet Seminar page to reserve 2 free seats
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02018/aug/06/long-term-info-structure/>.
• You can purchase tickets for $25 each
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02018/aug/06/long-term-info-structure/>.
• Seminar at SFJAZZ Center <http://www.sfjazz.org/visit/directions> 201
Franklin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
• Tune into the live stream <http://longnow.org/live/> for Long Now Members at
7:30 PT - become a member <https://longnow.org/membership/> for just $8 a month.
Share this talk: Juan Benet, "Long Term Infostructure" Long Now talk on 8/6
https://goo.gl/AB123q <https://goo.gl/AB123q>

Talks coming up:
September 12 - Julia Galef, Soldiers and Scouts: Why our minds weren't built
for truth, and how we can change that
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02018/sep/12/soldiers-and-scouts-why-our-minds-werent-built-truth-and-how-we-can-change/>
October 29 - Mary Lou Jepsen, Toward Practical Telepathy
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02018/oct/29/toward-practical-telepathy/>November
19 - Niall Ferguson, Networks and Power
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02018/nov/19/networks-and-power/>

High-quality videos of the talks and other benefits (such as priority tickets)
are available to Long Now members.  Membership, which starts at $8/month
($96/year), helps support the series and other Long Now projects. Joinable here
<https://longnow.org/membership/>.

This is one of a monthly series of Seminars About Long-term Thinking (SALT)
organized by The Long Now Foundation. Free audio and my summaries of all
previous talks are available for download here <http://longnow.org/seminars/>
(or stay up to date with the podcast here
<http://longnow.org/seminars/podcast/>). You'll find a range of long-term
thinking items on our Blog <http://blog.longnow.org/> (RSS
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/longnow>).  If you would like to be notified by
email (like this one) of forthcoming talks, go here
<http://list.longnow.org/mailman/listinfo/salt> to sign up online. Any
questions, contact Danielle Engelman at Long Now -- 415-561-6582 x1
<tel:415-561-6582%20x1> or danie...@longnow.org <mailto:danie...@longnow.org>.

You are welcome to forward this note to anyone you think might be interested.

 --Stewart Brand s...@longnow.org

-----
The Long Now Foundation -- http://longnow.org/ <http://longnow.org/>
Seminars & downloads -- http://longnow.org/seminars/