On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Aley Keprt wrote:

> > and don't forget when we did defenders there was not one single game out !
>
> Yes, Defenders is very old. Maybe the first one.

"Defenders Of The Earth" was indeed the first commercial Sam game, no
question about it...

> The graphics doesn't look absolutely bad, but it is not brilliant. I think.

> Alright. I don't want to beat you. (Are you the author?)

He was, yes.

> I just think Defenders is about nothing.
> Maybe it is old, and it was hadr work to do, but this cannot
> change the situation.
> Do you think Manic Miner has brilliant graphics? I think no.
> And if you say "it is very old" you are right, but compared with
> Dan Dare III or Savage it simply looks badly.

What has Manic Miner got to do with anything?

Given the limitations of the Sam, I reckon DoE was pretty good. Sure,
there have been better games on other computers, and better Sam games were
written afterwards, but...

Also I think you're a little harsh. Dan Dare III and Savage you mentioned
are Spectrum games, and are limited by the spectum's video output; 15
fixed colours, block attribute resolution. They are impressive because
they make the best possible use of the available resource.

The Sam's graphical capabilities are much better; maybe DoE didn't push
the Sam to its maximum, but the graphics still look nicer than anything
the Spectrum could ever put out...

> > playability none
> >
> > can't argue with that ! ;o) ..really there was no time, it was just a
> matter
> > of get it out the door as
> > quick as possible, we had lousy bosses and that's how we had to work. The
>
> I must say again: No playability.

Aley, he was agreeing with you....

> As I can see in british magazines (incl. Fred, Your Sinclair etc.)
> british people don't look to the playability much.
> e.g. Terminator II is one of the worst games ever made,
> and it got a very high percentage score.

This still goes on, to be honest. And not just in Britain either; the game
industry seems dominated by Americans these days, and yet we're totally
overwhelmed by cheap ripoffs of all the same game ideas... each with
better graphics, smoother framerate, more polygons than the last version
etc but I haven't seen anything *really* original for ages! As far as I
can see, retrogaming is "in" because old games, done well, generally offer
more playability than most of the current stuff.

Just my opinion...

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a