> From: Andrew Collier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > I just think Defenders is about nothing.
> > Maybe it is old, and it was hadr work to do, but this cannot
> > change the situation.
> > Do you think Manic Miner has brilliant graphics? I think no.
> > And if you say "it is very old" you are right, but compared with
> > Dan Dare III or Savage it simply looks badly.
>
> What has Manic Miner got to do with anything?
>
> Given the limitations of the Sam, I reckon DoE was pretty good. Sure,
> there have been better games on other computers, and better Sam games were
> written afterwards, but...
>
> Also I think you're a little harsh. Dan Dare III and Savage you mentioned
> are Spectrum games, and are limited by the spectum's video output; 15
> fixed colours, block attribute resolution. They are impressive because
> they make the best possible use of the available resource.
>
> The Sam's graphical capabilities are much better; maybe DoE didn't push
> the Sam to its maximum, but the graphics still look nicer than anything
> the Spectrum could ever put out...

Andrew, you haven't undertood my mail.
I compared Sam's situation to the ZX Spectrum situation.
I wrote that saying "Defenders has superb graphics." is the same as
saying "Manic Miner has superb graphics."
Then I mentioned some examples (Dan Dare III, etc.) of games with
nice graphics on the Spectrum (compared to Manic Miner).

So that's it.

> > As I can see in british magazines (incl. Fred, Your Sinclair etc.)
> > british people don't look to the playability much.
> > e.g. Terminator II is one of the worst games ever made,
> > and it got a very high percentage score.
>
> This still goes on, to be honest. And not just in Britain either; the game
> industry seems dominated by Americans these days, and yet we're totally
> overwhelmed by cheap ripoffs of all the same game ideas... each with
> better graphics, smoother framerate, more polygons than the last version
> etc but I haven't seen anything *really* original for ages! As far as I
> can see, retrogaming is "in" because old games, done well, generally offer
> more playability than most of the current stuff.
>
> Just my opinion...

I think so.
I must mention, that I everytime preffered Spectrum games with bad graphics
over Enigma's games for Sam.

I don't know much about other Sam users, but I like Pipe Mania or Klax
more than Prince Of Persia, Sphera or Defenders (the worst is Sam Out).

Oh yea, Prince and Klax are from Domark. What is Domark? Or Tengen?
Is it another Enigma-like company which did a few great games in 1990?

> Andrew

Aley [eili] Keprt - student, programmer (multimedia soft. etc.)
                    phone: +420-68-538 70 35
     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ***  http://get.to/aley