Andrew Collier wrote:
> Well, there are some more specific effects in certain cases, but
> essentially yes, all instruction times are always rounded to at least a 4
> t-state boundary.

I'm still confused about why the Defender loop runs ok - maybe multiple
timing errors are cancelling each other out in some strange way!  I might
try and work out what the value should be in theory, and add some SimCoupe
logging to show what it's doing for each line etc.

> There's a scrolly message in the middle of the screen. However, you said
> that screen on/off effects only happen at line resolution; how about VMPR
> changes?

It's the same for all video effects - the video state at the end of the
scanline is assumed to have been the situation for the entire line.  It'll
take a good chunk more processing to be able to generate the display
correctly on the fly, but it'd be nice if it was done - probably as an
option, with the less accurate method for slower machines!

> If you watch the horizontal bars at the sides of the screen; as they
> shrink, they should move at 1 byte every frame. With your SimCoupe
> timings, does this appear to be the case?

Yes - I got it to wait for a keypress between frames and can see it move in
by two pixels each time.  I've not seen it under the DOS version (and am in
NT at the moment so I daren't try it!) to know what it used to be like.

> > > The message is sixteen pixels high, so this actually causes
> > > the program to run at one sixteenth of the proper speed.

Still not seen the message itself - where is it?  Could it be a video effect
that's being missed by the line-resolution display generation?

> No, the eject button exists the program. I'd guess that you've actually
> returned to BASIC at that point, but all the palette entries would be set
> to zero...

ah, phew!