25 March 2004 00:54, Simon Owen wrote:
> You're _way_ over-complicating things!  It was simply looking for the
> DX version number in a registry key that didn't exist in older
> versions of DirectX.  Failing to find the version key it assumed
> DirectX was not installed.
>
> Here's the NSIS function I was using for the old check (yes it is
> wrong, and no I didn't write it):

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/archive/nsisweb.php?page=407&instances=0,110

It's kind of like the difference between getting the browser id in
javascript and testing for the existence of the object you want to use:
the first is likely to work (assuming the version id is correct) but the
second is guaranteed and a) more flexible and b) much "nicer".

If you check for the existence of the object you want, you know that,
even if a change is made to directx so that your version check will not
work, as long as the object exists then your check will be valid.