Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:43:25PM +0100, david wrote:
> --- Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> > The web situation isn't great. IMO, what we really
> > need is a Wiki.
>
> It's very funny you should say this... as a programmer
> I work with has just passed a version which my new
> site will be using :-)

Thanks very much! However, I'm slightly worried about your use of "my".
I was hoping for something that would belong to the community. It would
be the "SAM Coupe Wiki", and wouldn't act as or be part of anyone's
personal web site. It would consist of articles describing particular
hardware, software, magazines, events, companies and individuals, as
well as some documentation. Were you planning something different?

My was more of a case of:

a) me typing it at work and not having a lot of chance to think out my writing :)

b) semantics :)

It's a community project of course... as is most things i'm involved in these days outside of work (its hard to be involved in opensource projects and not get more community-based :)) - and so far with the help of a few people round here, its started pretty well.

The wiki will be part of a comminity site which, depending on if people use it or not, i hope will become useful for many ... such as the mailing list is. :)

I was considering setting up a Wiki, but it seems as though I won't have
to. :-) Sorry to ask: do you have a rough guess as to when it might be
ready? Days, weeks or months? (It needn't have any initial content --
the sooner we have a Wiki, the sooner we can have some articles!)

As soon as i've finished typing this, i'll be installing it and having a play... (well - after i've had my microwave meal!) then its just a matter of finishing off the rest of the site (the back-end is done... except for a slight issue on some php code which i'm ripping my fading hair with - but this should be sorted soon... if not, i have some alternative code to use.) and then filling with content.

Just a bit tired at the moemnt as i've only been in from work about an hour - and it's been a fun packed day again :)

There are a few things that need discussion, though. What licence (if
any) should be used for the content? Also, how will backups be kept?

it depends on content... if you are talking about downloads.

Most SAM software is fairly reasonable available. Some is not. I'm not seeking to piss people off more than i have in the past, so anything that may be of a dubious nature - i will keep to one side until i have recieved confirmation from who-ever concerned that releasing it is ok.

Likewise, in cases where someone is not happy about something being made available, i can easily remove it.

Backups... well i've got measures in place for this

>Perhaps it'd be best for backups to be kept by someone who is otherwise
>independent of the Wiki's hosting? I could keep fortnightly (or perhaps
>weekly) backups.

One way I am going to prevent the issue that occured in previous attempts of a community site, of things being limited to one person, is to open moderation and control to whoever is willing to donate any time - and to be honest, that doesnt have to be a lot of time. Backup of data is just one area where help is appreciated... :)

> > With a Wiki, I feel that my changes are much more
> > likely to be accepted (or improved, rather than
> > rejected), and that I'm actually entitled to make
> > changes.
>
> :) My thoughts also... although for security, the
> changes will only be able to be made for people who
> log in to the site :)

>Yeah... I think I said something simliar, when I mentioned vandalism.
>Hopefully, most vandals won't bother to create accounts. :-)

Late last year I was given a wiki to take over, when the previous owner was unable to look after it... due to it using quite an old engine... (very very old) - it was impossible to lock content etc. This engine has much more control than that... only trusted people will be able to change content... so it will reduce the chance of anything buggering up (if you pardon the language)

regards

david