I have to admit that my favourite Dizzy game is the console one - the
energy bar is present, some of the arcadey spin-off titles have been
rolled in to break up the gameplay and there's quite a limited amount
of required travelling to the other side of the world just to pick up
an object and travel back. Oh, and as far as I recall only a couple of
the coins are of the secret 'press action here to reveal it' type, and
they're in places where you might press action anyway like behind
doors. None of the guessing the loose bit of handrail malarkey. Or, at
least, very little. My memory is imperfect.

I wonder how many unique screens you could fit into the Sam's memory
(with compression) without resorting to a tile map. One of the things
that's obvious after Big Red took over is that they switched quite a
lot to a more vector style - not sure if it's actual vectors or just
really big tiles, but it does make the world look less vanilla
somehow. I guess something like PNG (ie, a standard binary compressor
+ per scanline switching of how graphics are encoded before
compression) with a brute force optimiser (ala optipng/etc) would be
the smart thing. And it'll likely always be worse than real PNG, so I
guess that's a way to get an upper bound...