Yer - yours is probably a little better then, the flashback screens are more
what you want to look at.  Ill play around a little more.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sam-us...@nvg.ntnu.no [mailto:owner-sam-us...@nvg.ntnu.no] On
Behalf Of Thomas Harte
Sent: 31 July 2010 14:31
To: sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no
Subject: Re: Dizzy (was:Porting spectrum games...)

Oh, but wait! Enabling searching for the best LZ77 window and pattern
size (just in terms of 4 bits, 8 bits, 12 bits or 16 bits - not a
completely free search) seems to put me at:

1: 256 x 141 : 4593
2: 256 x 141 : 5731
3: 256 x 192 : 8520
4: 256 x 192 : 8267
5: 256 x 192 : 9440

Currently a little worse than you for the Dizzys, a little better for
the Flashbacks. I'm going to see if there's anything to gain from
variable length LZ77 regions (at the minute it picks the predictor per
line by trying every predictor with every combination of LZ77 length,
then bundles together all the best predictors into a big block and
LZ77s the whole lot, finding the best window/pattern size afresh for
the whole lot). I guess I can look for patterns in the results of the
line-by-line search.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Thomas Harte <tomh.retros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, but for the record, with what I think is a completely straight
> reimplementation of PNG that isn't particularly intelligent in
> searching for the smallest size:
>
> 1: 256 x 141 : 5190 (774 bytes worse than you)
> 2: 256 x 141 : 6439  (826 bytes worse)
> 3: 256 x 192 : 10041 (938 bytes worse)
> 4: 256 x 192 : 9326 (732 bytes worse)
> 5: 256 x 192 : 10599 (496 bytes worse)
>
> Which puts me, on average, about 10% worse than you.
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Thomas Harte <tomh.retros...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Sadly I'm already doing that and still doing a lot worse than you. At
>> this point I'd definitely suggest that if you're willing to donate
>> code then it be used over anything I can come up with.
>>
>> I'm still trying though!
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Adrian Brown
>> <adr...@apbcomputerservices.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Oh one thing ive found out that may help in your tests.  Dont compress
>>> the data as nibble pairs.  If you convert the data into bytes (only
>>> using values 0 - 15) then compress that.  (obviously in the decompressor
>>> you need to patch it back so two bytes become one nibble). You may find
>>> you get a much better compression rate.
>>>
>>> Adrian

>>> 2: 256 x 141 : 5613
>>> 3: 256 x 192 : 9103