Yes, you could certainly fill the top 32K with faster external RAM.  Though
using Spectrum-compatible mode 1 does add extra contention stripes, so you'll
still get an extra hit on accesses in the bottom 32K.

The current SDL version of SimCoupe uses 2048 samples, so it must have been
what I found as the best behaving too!  Though I've always found SDL sound more
awkward to work with as it requests extra data as needed, rather than providing
a method to check the level and add more.  I'm expecting to use a mix of time
stamps and buffer requests to trigger the next frame at the right point, which
should solve the 22-syncs issue you mention.  It's a lot easier with
DirectSound as you have tighter control over the play+write cursors, so you
automatically get sub-frame accuracy (or you certainly used to – I've not
checked with Vista or later).

I have an occasionally worked on source branch that's moving towards doing
that, though there are a number of related complications to untangle first.
One day...

Si