Well, I've got a Kryoflux now, connected to the cheapest standard PC
floppy drive that I could find on eBay, and it's working really well.
The supplied software has a GUI (if you're willing to install Java,
anyway; pleasingly it is OS X v10.8 compatible) and one of the output
options is a raw MFM sector image, which ends up being a .MGT in Sam
emulator terms. So the process is just insert disk, click 'start',
adjust a file extension and repeat. It takes a bit more than one and a
half minutes to do a good disk, obviously more if it ends up retrying
sectors.

My disks have been in my mother's (standalone, sheltered but
uninsulated) garage for the last six years but were in a house for the
10–15 years before that and I'm probably getting an 80% read success
rate. Total cost for interface and drive was about £100 but I've
recovered lots of work by myself as a child so it was easily worth it;
this is the first time I've had any means of imaging disks at all so
I've not had an opportunity to rescue anything before.

Definitely recommended for anybody else in a similar situation.