thank you for the response, see below.

On 02/16/2011 08:21 AM, Helmut Hullen wrote:
Hallo, Robert,

Du meintest am 16.02.11:
Burned once and all that.  I am setting up rsync cron jobs to back up
what I would need to completely rebuild the server.
My PDC is running with security=user.  I know I have to backup:
/home
..../netlogon
..../profiles
/etc/passwd (and shadow, how to do this with rsync?)
/etc/groups (ditto)
What else?
Command:
         net getlocalsid>  localsid.txt

And on a rebuild, how do I use this sid instead of whatever a new system creates?

Files:
      /etc/samba/private/passdb.tdb
      /etc/samba/private/secrets.tdb

These are in /var/lib/samba/private on Fedora 12; along with schannel_store.tdb

And what about all the other .tdb files I see one level down?

      /etc/samba/smb.conf

(and/or perhaps the whole "/etc/samba" directory)

I am using the Amahi system and it builds these from its sql database that I am separately backing up.
Do you use LDAP? Then there ist still more to backup.

No, I thought that the 'security=user' means that it is using /etc/passwd.