On a very general level , a member server is joined to the domain so that it can use the domain accounts. A member server is typically a file server but does not have to be (you could be using it as a web server, or application server or even a workstation.)

A domain controller can be a file server, although in many cases a domain controller will only provide authentication and logon functions. It does need to have file shares to provide access to to the logon scripts and profile directories used by Windows clients but that doesn't really make a a file server.

A server that is not a member server or a domain controller is considered to be a standalone server. These concepts apply to Windows/Samba domains whether you are running domains based on Samba 3, Samba 4, Windows 200x or Windows NT.