I don't think it necessarily makes it a member a member server BUT if it isn't a member server it is going to be pretty useless for serving profiles.

I have not worked with Samba4 myself- I have worked with Samba 3 (and Windows 200x AD , and NT4) so you may want to review the samba 4 specific docn fir basic config. In samba 3 a quick review of the smb.conf file (or the output of "testparm -v" will reveal the type of setup.

Did you inherit these machines from someone else?