On 09/26/2013 09:44 AM, Kevin Field wrote:
On 2013-09-26 10:37 AM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:

On 2013-09-26 10:20 AM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
On 09/26/2013 08:47 AM, Kevin Field wrote:
Hi all,

Running SerNet Samba 4.0.9 on CentOS 6.4 serving as an AD DC and
fileshare for XP clients.

Added recycler per the example at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions to my
smb.conf.  Works great.

My concern is that the recycle dir will eventually grow large.
vfs_recycle's docs mention a parameter for limiting individual file
sizes, but what's a best practice to prevent the whole recycle folder
from growing too large? Cronjob to delete old files when the total is past a certain size? Anyone have a script handy? (I'm hoping I'm not
the only one with this problem :) Seems like it would be a common
concern...)

Thanks,
Kev
I use a script to cleanup the deleted files and run it daily with cron.

cat /usr/bin/cleanupold

#!/bin/bash
find /var/share/.recycle/* -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;

In /var/spool/cron/root

@daily /usr/bin/cleanupold > /dev/null 2>&1 #Cleanup old audio files

Jonn

Thanks John, but I meant more so is there a way to have it look at the
total size of the recycle dir too?  I.e. only delete stale files when
it needs to to stay within a limit, and also even delete not-so-stale
files if it needs to because there have been too many GB deleted
lately to keep 30 days worth (or whatever) around?

Thanks again,
Kev
This will find files larger than 50MB.

find /var/share/.recycle/* -type f -size +50000k -exec rm {} \;

Look at the man pages for find to get more options.

Jonn

Hmm...that's a bit closer, but not exactly. Maybe I described it better on stackexchange...let me copy:

I found tmpwatch, but it's only time-based. What I'd like the system to
do is keep files as long as it reasonably can, i.e., without too much
space being taken up. The flip side is that I also don't want it keeping
files too long if it means running out of space. Thus I'm looking for
something with roughly this thinking:

1. if bin_size < limit then quit
2. delete oldest file in bin
3. goto 1.

Of course there may be a more efficient algorithm, and it could be
tweaked to prefer deleting bigger files unless they're past a certain
age so that a big delete doesn't unnecessarily result in the pruning of
a bunch of older-but-not-too-old small files.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm getting too complicated?

Thanks,
Kev