And which Linux client are you trying to use? Very old versions of Samba
can still work, somewhat, but be very difficult to integrate. Very new
versions of Samba have a lot of features that your old CIFS server,
whatever it is, may not know about and may not support.

Give basic information like what OS or Samba version your file server is,
and what Linux version and what Samba version your Linux client are. And
did your friend compile Samba from source, or use an OS provided verson?
The "smb.conf" provided by most releases is a very good template to work
with, and even better explored with the "testparm" tool to find out all the
options that are being set by default.