On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> John,
>       Do I need a machine account for this win98 machine? I have them
> auto-created for Win2k and WinXP machines, but I haven't created one
> manually, and it didn't get auto-created.

No. Samba works the same way as NT/2K servers would. Win9X/Me do NOT have
full domain security capabilities and thus can not play as a fully secured
domain member. Samba applies to MS Windows XP Home edition.

Windows 9X/Me can use the network logon capability, MS Windows XP Home
Edition apparently can't use the network logon facility.

You can use the Windows 95/98 Group Policy Editor (on the Win98 CD under
\tools\reskit\poledit) for 95/98/Me to set them so that the user can not
get past the logon screen unless authenticated to a network logon server
(NT Domain).

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra