Christoph Scheeder wrote:

first:

STOP,

Too late, but not a problem. I was begining to suspect the Free BSD 5.x guide I was using was problematic. I just did a clean install of 5.3, and am installing software. I had already considered getting rid of ldap refences. Should I also get rid of nss_ldap?

Thanks for the fresh pair of eyes looking at this for me.

TMS III

you want your samba-server to be a membersever in ADS, do you?,

then *remove* *all* bits referencing ldap from your smb.conf.

you entrust all user and groupmanagment to ADS via winbindd
and only via winbindd.

second:
you have configured winbindd not to give you the domain part
from ADS by setting:

winbindd use default domain = Yes

set it to no and you will get the domain part for your
domain users/groups

third:
don't use "/" as domain-seperator in linux/unix.

Yeah, I thought about that I will switch back to _ as a separator.

it has special meaning (path-seperator) and using it probably  will give
you strange problems.

Christoph

Tom Skeren schrieb:

Edward Wissner wrote:

I have similar issues, but am not using an ldap server, rather a W2k Active Directory domain controller.

Yes, so am I. The ldap server listed in ldap.conf is named w2000

And am not interested in lging into the linux server with AD.
Domain users and groups list without the domain ID for me as well. I don't know if that is proper as I have never seen a working setup.

No...it should be DOMAIN_NAME/user1 DOMAIN_NAME/group1 etc. The "/" is specified in smb.conf as winbindd separator.

I see my shares on the samba server from a w2k client, but am prompted again for usr/passwd when attempting to open a shared directory. That's when I get a failure.

Try mapping a drive by \\ip-addy\share....bet it works.

I'm ready to toss it and start over, migrating completely away from w2k AD and setting up an ldap directory instead.

I can't unfortunately.

Samba works great if I create my users locally.

It works pretty well as an NT style PDC, yes, but this project requires a samba server become a member server in ADS.

ed