the greatest article in my opinion on that subject. really.
I could never find time to write my one.

probably more attention should be paid to so called "tatoo effect":

1) I write my custom template
2) I find it doesn't do what I want to do (after I propagated registry changes to users and computers)
3) I delete custom.adm from poledit list of template (with hope all changes we be restored)
4) obviously, changes remain in the registry

After trying to get all the policy stuff nailed down I figured I'd save
others the trouble, so I wrote up a primer and posted it on my site at
http://www.ehsco.com/reading/20051031.html

Hoepfully that will save others some trouble