Berend Tober ha scritto:
The first time a Word or Excel file is opened, i.e., when either Word or Excel have not been actively running "recently" (like, say for several minutes or more), the time it takes to start the application and load the file seem inordinately long.

Once the first evolution is complete, files open more-or-less instantly if I close the first document but leave either app running (but void of any open documents). This pertains to the same file opened a second time, or different files -- once Word/Excel has done whatever it is thats takes so long for initial start up, then load performance is acceptable (in fact it is very impressive!).

And it is not merely the loading of the app, because it happens both when I start the apps implicitly by double-clicking on a document in Windows Explorer, but also if I first start Word/Excel explicitly from the START menu without a specific document and then open one from the Samba share using File|Open.

Envirnoment:

Server is RHEL 5 with Samba version samba-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2

Desktops are XP Pro SP2 on some, and XP Home SP2 on others.

MS Office Suite is XP Pro (i.e., Word/Excel 2002)

Desktops also run Symantec Corporate Edition 8.1 (although same problem continues on a machine from which I uninstalled that as part of my debugging.)

I initially had no explicit settings regarding opportunistic locking in smb.conf, but I've tried server different configurations without improvement. What appears below is the current configuration and the problem still pertains.

smb.conf:

[global]
    workgroup = mygroup
    server string = Samba Server
    hosts allow = 192.168.123. 127.
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    dns proxy = no
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    case sensitive = no
    kernel oplocks = no

[homes]
    comment =
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

[acct]
    path = /usr/local/var/samba/acct
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = no
    create mask = 0765
    directory mask = 0775
    oplocks = False
    level2 oplocks = False

[engr]
    path = /usr/local/var/samba/engr
    writeable = yes
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0765
    directory mask = 0775
    oplocks = False
    level2 oplocks = False

Active Directory is not used. All workstations (about 25) simply map drive letters locally.

This performance problem appeared only after we began using Samba for file server. Never saw this in close to 15 years of using Netware -- so I suspect it is not purely an MS-Office problem, but something to do with the interaction between MS-Office and Samba. I eagerly await your help!

Have you tried copying (tens of MBs) files or even those same office files to/from the share ? What is the performance there ?

I had a similar performance problem which showed up in Office, but I found out it was not limited to "office" files, but affected the transfer speed between the client and the server in general.

I have found a solution and posted it to this list, search for the thread "Vista client / Linux server - hight browsing latency" (or I will send you the e-mail if you so desire).

HTH

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT