>     The fact that the proprietary support is shipped within the project
>     rather than through an external library doesn't sound important to me.
>
> Isn't it a case of shades of grey rather than black and white?

Yes.  This depends on context.  For access to multimedia abilities
it's common to rely on portable libraries and I don't think it matters
much where that code is hosted (e.g. we could host libsdl at
Savannah).  In other situations (e.g. audio format support: ogg,
mp3...) I would less easily accept code that supports, and hence
promote, non-free formats.

--
Sylvain