Ian Kelling wrote:
> Website cvs repos are under the domain web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org,
> whereas non-website cvs repos are at cvs.savannah.gnu.org. Should we
> create an analogous domain: web.git.savannah.gnu.org ?

There are a lot of legacy paths to the same place that never made a
lot of sense to me.  But we have maintained them because for any
particular thing there are dozens of people using that path.

Both web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org and cvs.savannah.gnu.org are the same
system and in practice interchangeable.  I think I accidentally
dropped web.cvs at one point because I didn't know anything about it
and didn't know to preserve it and immediately people who were using
it started to file bug tickets.  Which is basically to say that I
don't know the real distinction between them at this time.

On that system there are four paths.  Two that appear to be primary
and two that appear to be aliases.

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    7 Jun 19  2019 cvsroot -> sources
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   15 Jun 17  2019 sources -> cvsdata/sources
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   11 Jun 17  2019 web -> cvsdata/web
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    3 Jun 18  2019 webcvs -> web

I imagine that in the earlier days when everything was cvs and
everything was on one system that /sources held all of the sources and
/web held web pages.  I infer by that the symlinks for cvsroot points
to sources that it is an alias and that webcvs points to web that it
is also an alias.  That something uses a symlink makes no difference
to the user using it.  I have just been preserving them along.

The cvsdata consolidation is my creation however.  That allows the
data to be mounted from a separate partition from the OS and not
included in the root system partition.  Those used to be directories
on the root partition and the data there.  I relocated that data onto
its own partition.

So personally I don't see a need for a new domain name.  But neither
am I opposed to a new domain name either.  Personally I would put them
in a different directory in the same domain name.

I do have some concern about namespaces and I am thinking that putting
them in a different directory from sources would be most generic.

Bob