Ian Kelling wrote:
> Ok, seems like we should setup a development instance of Savane, at
> least the relevant parts. Does that sound right?

Yes.  A while back rms and I were chatting about things and he had
suggested that we set up something pre-seeded with whatever is
needed.  Because setting up a local sandbox is definitely not
trivial.  Here are Assaf's instructions.

    https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RunningSavaneLocally/

The biggest problem is that the site requires the database to be
pre-seeded with a bunch of stuff that is not completely known what is
needed.  If you start with an empty database then the site is
basically not functional.  Therefore rms had put in a request that we
set up a development site.

Previously we had been using frontend-dev as a partial way along that
way.  But that system interacts with the live production database.
And that is where the problems and danger lies.

I couldn't bring myself to ask for yet another VM until some of the
previous work on the existing VMs were completed.  But in the long run
we would need a new development system.  The old frontend-dev is at
the end of its life.  Just need to confirm with Ineiev.  Then we could
drop it and create a new one for that purpose.

For the record I don't like the RunningSavaneLocally path completely
because that uses a sanitized version of the production database.  I
think that cleaning personal account information is always too risky.
Instead I think we need to create a new database from scratch without
using any personal account information.  Using fake data.  There is a
long trend to use faked data for web site development.  Setting that
up would be a great project to help out Savannah development.

Bob