Hi Alfred,

It looks like I need some coaching with CVS.  It's been a long, long
time since I used it daily.

At 2023-08-26T14:15:55-0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I asked my CVS checkout what the status of the former is.
>
>    $ cvs status | grep html_node || echo NO RESULT
>    cvs status: Examining .
>    NO RESULT
>
> Which, given a fresh checkout, does not return NO RESULT; since the
> directory html_node exists in CVS.

That appears to be the case.

> So the question remains, how did you checkout, and what did you do in
> your directory.  I would _guess_ that you've removed it locally, but
> never done the cvs step of removing it.

I don't remember at this point, but your last hypothesis seems sound.

> E.g., in a fresh checkout, I do
>
> $ rm -rf manual/html_node
> $ cvs status|grep html_node||echo NO RESULT
> cvs2 status: Examining .
> cvs2 status: Examining manual
> cvs2 status: Examining manual/groff.html.node
> NO RESULT

Yes.  I'm with you up to this point.  After that, things start to go
wrong.

> $ cvsu
> X manual/html_node

$ cvsu
cvsu: command not found

I assume you had a typo, but for what, I'm not sure.

> And I will bet that if you do "cvs update -PAd" .. you will once again
> have that directory.

Yes.  Albeit with some problems.

$ cvs update -PAd
? LOG
? diff
? manual/groff.html.node/Adjustment.html
? manual/groff.html.node/Argument-Units.html
[...]
? manual/groff.html.node/while.html
cvs update: Updating .
cvs update: Updating manual
cvs update: Updating manual/groff.html.node
cvs update: move away `manual/groff.html.node/Adjustment.html'; it is in the way
C manual/groff.html.node/Adjustment.html
cvs update: move away `manual/groff.html.node/Argument-Units.html'; it is in
the way
[...]
C manual/groff.html.node/while.html
cvs update: Updating manual/html_node
U manual/html_node/Additional-ms-Macros.html
U manual/html_node/Argument-Units.html

> To remove it, you need to do "cvs remove manual/html_node" -- or
> similar.

Similar, maybe, but not exactly--this suggestion fails.

$ cvs remove manual/html_node
cvs remove: Removing manual/html_node
cvs remove: file `manual/html_node/Additional-ms-Macros.html' still in working
directory
cvs remove: file `manual/html_node/Argument-Units.html' still in working
directory
[...]
cvs remove: file `manual/html_node/while.html' still in working directory
cvs remove: 220 files exist; remove them first

Taking its advice is not helpful.

$ rm -f manual/html_node/*
rm: cannot remove 'manual/html_node/CVS': Is a directory
$ cvs remove manual/html_node/*
cvs [remove aborted]: no such directory `manual/html_node'

I'd very much appreciate your further assistance!  :-O

Regards,
Branden