Hi Alfred,

Success!

At 2023-09-01T11:41:57-0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    $ cvsu
[...]
> Not a typo, it is part of the cvsutils package.

Aha!  Today I learned...(and "apt-got").

>    $ cvs update -PAd
>
> Right, cvs update will try to add the files back.  Did you do remove?
> You also need to do commit after.

I won't say I didn't have other problems, but that was the worst one.

I stumbled a few more times (for a few minutes, groff.html.mode.tar.gz
was essentially an empty archive) but I think I finally got it done.

The old "html_node" directory with version 1.22.4 of our manual, now out
of date, is now 404ing on the GNU site, as desired.  Crawlers will do
their thing and gradually ensure that more people are steered to the
groff 1.23.0 manual.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Branden