Well, my memory is bad, (input.external, not playlist.external), but the
idea was right....

In my config file, I have this:
fade_pipe=input.external(id="fade_pipe", "dd if=/tmp/timers.pipe bs=16k
2>/dev/null")

The bash script has this:
sox $INTRO -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 /tmp/timers.pipe

If you want to feed more than one file in from the same script, replace the
pipe name with "-" (stdout), then redirect the output of the script to the
named pipe instead.
Otherwise, when one file finishes playing, there is a brief instant where
no data is available on the pipe, and liquidsoap switches away from the
source.  This way, the shell buffering will keep data available in the pipe
even between calls to sox.

Chuck Doolittle, N1SPX
CIO, Heritage Information Radio
http://am1700.org/