Le 08/10/2021 à 15:38, Romain Beauxis a écrit :
Hi!

I've noticed it. There are a bunch of initialization stuff that get triggered implicitly now and that could be the source.

Considering that it does not seem to happen on docker, I'd suggest it might be related to some hardware initialization.

We use `libavdevice` now and I think it gets automatically initialized, this is probably where this comes from.

Do you think that this should be considered an issue?

Hi,

I don't think it's an issue, and it is even less of an issue to me as my VMs don't suffer from it, as I have a lot less stuff installed there (or use docker). Though if I'm missing a way to not let liq load say ladspa plugin through a setting, let me know, as in one scenario, this could help (and liq taking more than 1s to load is usually a symptom I don't ignore :P)

However, I don't think it's hardware bound, as on a VM with no soundcard I can reproduce it, by installing the LSP plugin suite.
root@radio-v6:~# time liquidsoap -h x
Plugin not found!

real    0m1.153s
user    0m0.809s
sys     0m0.053s

after installing lsp-plugins-ladspa

# time liquidsoap -h x
Plugin not found!

real    0m4.500s
user    0m3.496s
sys     0m0.087s

And I can reproduce it right away in docker, so containers are not immune either. And I agree it's more of a ladspa/lsp issue, but well, maybe we can blacklist/whitelist some. But that is not a blocking issue nor an outstanding one.

Cheers
Gilou

-- Romain

Le jeu. 7 oct. 2021 à 05:13, Gilles Pietri <contact+...@gilouweb.com <mailto:contact%2b...@gilouweb.com>> a écrit :

    Le 07/10/2021 à 11:40, Gilles Pietri a écrit :
     > Hi,
     >
     > As I'm migrating v1.4 stuff to v2.0, it's expected that I often use
     > liquidsoap -h xx to check on new syntax... And it's quite slow,
    on my
     > machine and my test env. I use the .deb provided by the ci @ github.

    Info about platform was in the title, but wrong. On a freshly installed
    debian, I don't have that issue. So I'm guessing there is a package
    installed on ubuntu that leads to this.

    I did run it on a laptop that does a lot of sound related stuff, and
    it's the worst there. Maybe ladspa plugns are the culprit… I'll
    investigate more later.

    I ran strace -tt liquidsoap --version result (after removing frei0r
    plugins, that I don't use), which seems to agree with the ladspa lookup
    taking up to 1s.

    $ dpkg --list | grep ^ii  | grep -i 'ladspa' | awk '{ print $2 }'
    ladspa-sdk
    lsp-plugins-ladspa
    rubberband-ladspa
    swh-plugins
    tap-plugins
    zam-plugins

    This is not a blocking issue, but may be a symptom for some
    bloated-ness, and maybe it'd be good to be able to avoid loading all
    the
    stuff when it's not needed (or maybe I'll have to recompile it to avoid
    it, but that would be sad, just to read the docs or check syntax :P)

    Cheers,
    Gilou

Gilles Pietri
29 avenue de la Libération, F-44400 Rezé
0634745199