Original message bounced due to address; I chopped to remove WMF and rambling
to focus on the subject of language standardization:

[...wmf...]
fyi// on attack surface: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~wing/

Attack surface concepts fit hand-in-glove with threat modeling concepts,
which fit hand in glove with this equivocal design/implementation dialogue.

[...]
Q. What does the bug/flaw dialogue demonstrate the need for?

There's plenty of folks on this list smarter than I am, so it is
nice to see a majority agree on what I think the key issues are:
communicating (a) accurate and (b) actionable data; expanded:

1. Defect Definition
2. Defect Classification
3. Defect Identification
4. Defect Implication (effectively communicating defect implication)

By example I mean (number corresponds to above):

1. Format String, weak crypto use, define what & why are these security defects?
2. Implementation Defect, Design Defect, bug, flaw
3. How do we identify these defects in software?
4. Implication: RTAWV (Risk, Threat, Attack, Weakness, Vuln) & communication
to both technical and non-technical audience is the goal.

I added Weakness at the TRIKE group's suggestion, and it has significantly
helped in classification instead of using two confusing vuln categories.

There is obviously a many-to-one mapping between threat->attack<-weakness
and even from vuln to weakness, depending on how we define vuln. (I have
defined vuln as "a particular instance or attackable instance of a weakness").

This is *valuable* information to the person trying to solve issues in this
problem domain, but I rarely find it well understood by *non-appsec* folks.

(Valuable in the sense that it is easier for non-appsec folks to act on a
weakness,
like insufficient output encoding standards/implementation, than a list of
10,000
exploitable URLs in a large templated site representing 4 XSS variants.)

[...]

I continue to encounter equivocal uses of the words Threat, Attack,
Vulnerability,
Flaw, Defect, Artifact (and associated phrases like "security-artifact"), Fault,
Bug, Error, Failure, Mistake, MFV (multi-factor vulnerability) in our collective
software security dialogue and literature.

What is the best way to work on establishing a common language? Is it reasonable
or realistic to expect such standardization?

OWASP and WASC have made strides in the webified space on defining attack
classes,
and some weak patterns; Mitre has worked terminology in the unmanaged code
space.

Where to go from here?

Arian J. Evans
FishNet Security