Jeff Williams wrote:
> I think there's a lot more that static analysis can do than what you're
> describing. They're not (necessarily) just fancy pattern matchers.
> Today's static analysis tools are only starting to help here. Tools focused
> on dumping out a list of vulnerabilities don't work well for me. Too many
> false alarms.  Maybe that's what you meant by 'inhibit'.

In the general case, I think that any kind of analysis tool (static
analyzer, fuzzing tool, debugger, whatever) focuses the analyst's
attention on whatever aspects the tool author thought was important.
Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on whether you agree with
the author.

Using no tools at all just imposes a different bias filter, as humans
are (relatively) good at spotting some kinds of patterns, and not others.

Crispin

> --Jeff
>
> Jeff Williams, CEO
> Aspect Security
> http://www.aspectsecurity.com
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com
        Olympic Games: The Bi-Annual Festival of Corruption