I don't see a conflict here: A web service (just as any
network-accessible
service, no matter whether programmed using sockets, Java RMI, SOAP or
whatever) is _intended_ to provide some function to the outside world,
so you have to open _some_ door into your system. The advice about
minimizing the attack surface is about not opening any doors you don't
really need (or worse, didn't even intend to open).

Another matter is the question of whether it might be easier to
produce a vulnerability when providing some function in the form of a
web service as opposed to another technique. One could argue in this
direction, e.g. because of creating new attack vectors such as XML
injection, or helping the attacker by providing the WSDL. But again,
this does not make web services incompatible with the principle of
minimal attack surface per se.

Kind regards,
Holger Peine

--
Dr. Holger Peine, Security and Safety
Fraunhofer IESE, Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany