What you've proposed are exceptions.  They do help (some) in separating
the normal logic from error handling, but:

(1) they often leave the job "half done" which has its own risks.
    writing exception safe code can be more of a nightmare than error
checking.

(2) in many languages, you can't retry or resume the faulting code.
    Exceptions are really far less useful in this case.

(3) you usually end up with some "generic" clean up code, which generally
    hides more errors than it solves.

Tim Hollebeek
Research Scientist
Teknowledge, Corp.