From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 3:44 PM
To: sc-l@securecoding.org
Subject: [SC-L] Retrying exceptions - was 'Coding with errors in mind'

Pascal Meunier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Hollebeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> (2) in many languages, you can't retry or resume the faulting code.
>>     Exceptions are really far less useful in this case.
>
>See above.  (Yes, Ruby supports retrying).

Bjorn Stroustrup discusses retrying exceptions in "Design and Evolution of
C++" (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/dne.html).  In particular, he
described one system where the language supported exceptions, and after some
number of years, a code review found that there was only one retryable
exception left - and IIRC the code review decided they were better off
without it.  How much are retryable exceptions really used, in Ruby or
anywhere else that supports them?

--
Jonathan Leffler ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Information Management Division