  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 8:38 AM
To: Gunnar Peterson
Subject: Re: [SC-L] Compilers

Gunnar, I think the problem space of secure coding will never be pervasively
solved if it relies on the licensing of tools for every developer on the
planet. Folks have been conditioned to not pay for developer level tools and
now use Eclipse, etc. Putting it only in the hands of a few folks may be
useful or it may be futile, only time will tell.

In terms of your analogy of using try/catch blocks, I would say the
following: First, languages within the last ten years require you to use
them and they are not optional for the developer to skip in many situations.
Second, compilers actually check try/catch blocks which says that compilers
can and do play an important role which the community should leverage vs
avoid.

This does beg another question of should the community be helping the folks
who design languages to build in security-oriented constructs that we can
leverage instead of waiting for after-the-fact find-it utilities?