From: Andrew van der Stock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 2:50 PM
To: McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)
Cc: SC-L
Subject: Re: [SC-L] How is secure coding sold within enterprises?

There are two major methods:

1.      Opportunity cost / competitive advantage (the Microsoft model)

2.      Recovery cost reductions (the model used by most financial institutions)

Generally, opportunity cost is where an organization can further its goals by a
secure business foundation. This requires the CIO/CSO to be able to sell the
business on this model, which is hard when it is clear that many businesses
have been founded on insecure foundations and do quite well nonetheless.
Companies that choose to be secure have a competitive advantage, an advantage
that will increase over time and will win conquest customers. For example (and
this is my humble opinion), Oracle's security is a long standing unbreakable
joke, and in the meantime MS ploughed billions into fixing their tattered
reputation by making it a competitive advantage, and thus making their market
dominance nearly complete. Oracle is now paying for their CSO's mistake in not
understanding this model earlier. Forward looking financial institutions are
now using this model, such as my old bank's (with its SMS transaction
authentication feature) winning many new customers by not only promoting
themselves as secure, but doing the right thing and investing in essentially
eliminating Internet Banking fraud. It saves them money, and it works well for
customers. This is the best model, but the hardest to sell.

The second model is used by most financial institutions. They are mature risk
managers and understand that a certain level of risk must be taken in return
for doing business. By choosing to invest some of the potential or known losses
in reducing the potential for massive losses, they can reduce the overall risk
present in the corporate risk register, which plays well to shareholders. For
example, if you invest $1m in securing a cheque clearance process worth (say)
$10b annually to the business, and that reduces check fraud by $5m per year and
eliminates $2m of unnecessary overhead every year, security is an easy sell
with obvious targets to improve profitability. A well managed operational risk
group will easily identify the riskiest aspects of a mature company's
activities, and it's easy to justify improvements in those areas.

The FUD model (used by many vendors - "do this or the SOX boogeyman will get
you") does not work.

The do nothing model (used by nearly everyone who doesn't fall into the first
two categories) works for a time, but can spectacularly end a business. Card
Systems anyone? Unknown risk is too risky a proposition, and is plain director
negligence in my view.

Thanks,
Andrew