Whenever I speak with a customer or any software decision makers, I
implore them, before buying another vendor's software, or
hiring/contracting a 3rd party development firm, to ask a couple of
simple questions: "What do you do for software security?", and "Can
you send me some documents about your software security practices?".

>From my experience, that will stop at least 95% of them in their tracks.

There are lots of country-specific 5 to 30 person software shops
located in the major Asian business centers. But even if, say, IBM is
the main contractor to a client of mine, those questions can still be
asked of IBM, and it's their responsibility to get the answers from
the small software shop (and my client will have the documentation as
a "trust but verify" check for later use).

Stephen