hi sc-l,

If you listened recently to the latest episode of Silver Bullet with Fred
Schneider from Cornell <http://www.cigital.com/silverbullet/show-041/>, one of
the ideas Fred and I discussed was the notion of attack categories and
anticipating large scale trends in attack space.  Hopefully you guys all recall
that I am a strong proponent of understanding the attacker's perspective (see,
for example Exploiting Software from way back in 2004 where Hoglund and I
coined the term "attack pattern" <http://exploitingsoftware.com/>).  This
month's informIT article is about the notion of long term attack categories and
is meant to inform software security research:

Software [In]security: Attack Categories and History Prediction
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1393066

BTW, shout outs for the OWASP top 10 and CWE in the article may surprise the
usual nay sayers.

Feedback is most welcome.  (Thanks to Ken and Sammy for helping me make this
article slightly more coherent.)

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet