I had proofs in junior high Geometry too, though I do not recall using them outside that class. I went all the way through differential equations, matrix algebra and probability/statistics and I don't recall much focus on proofs. This was in the early 1980s in a good school (Illinois), so it wasn't just modern teaching methods that were too blame. I am not sure that the proofs were all that useful for understanding some things either, though the logic they taught has value that I missed a bit of since I did hit some modern techniques.

--

Brad Andrews
RBA Communications