I have a few concerns with formal proofs particularly applying them in a
non-academic environment (some of which may be my own naïve lack of
understanding and my feeble memory of my university years studying formal
methods).

Firstly whilst the code provably does what you said that it would do, that
does not mean that what you said the code should do is necessarily correct.
As Gary McGraw has pointed out 50% of security issues are bugs, 50% are
design flaws.  So we have only removed 50% of the problem.

Secondly, as you pointed out, that is an awful lot of effort in terms of man
years for what is essentially a small program and I don’t think it will
scale well

Thirdly, I suspect this is one of those processes that is easier to apply to
greenfield development, I don’t think many developers will have that luxury.

In conclusion, it seems an awful effort to fix half the problem, I'd expect,
though cant prove, that a combination of other secure development processes
working together will get better results with less overall effort.

CJC

rough_promises_safety-critical_software_of_unprecedented_reliability>