Thanks!

But now that I understand the model, I don’t really have an issue.

Perhaps you are so used to Scid’s unusual model (unlike any program I’ve
ever worked with) that it doesn’t strike you as strange.  But the
documentation ought to mention it more prominently.  Basically you HAVE TO
create a New Database as a first step when starting to use Scid (aside from
the secondary use case of opening/viewingg PGN files). The confusion arises
from the fact that the UI makes it look like you’re working with a new
database (clipbase) but this is a database that cannot be saved.

I don’t want to be seen as overly critical.  I wouldn’t be writing if I
didn’t think SCID was an excellent piece of software.