Thanks for the quick response and action!

Using the source for revision 3138 + chess 960 patch + Mr Cramer's TKText patch (applied in that order), the problem with auto-load on Scid vs 960 is now fixed!

Another problem persisted, though. I noticed it after I sent the earlier email. The 960 patch may be breaking something in the UCI (polyglot?) code. Both Stockfish and Toga behave strangely (giving ridiculous evaluations, or just not giving an evaluation), while Phalanx behaves normally. For example, Toga claims an evaluation of ~ +5 in this position:

rnbq1rk1/pp2nppp/4p3/2ppP3/3P2Q1/P1P5/2P2PPP/R1B1KBNR w KQ - 2 8

From personal experience as Black, I know it can be a tough position, but not +5 :-) !

I compiled regular Scid vs PC from r3138 source (using Gregor Cramer's TKText patch, but no chess 960 patch), and both Stockfish 12 and Toga behave normally.

To allow them to coexist, Scid vs 960 is installed in /usr/local/{bin,share}/, while Scid vs PC lives in /usr/{bin,share}/ .

Okey