Cataya,

The demonstrations in the session will be done by the teachers.  They will
then have the option to either use them as a presentation or performance
piece, or turn them into a group experiment.

For example, determining why Diet Pepsi floats in water while Pepsi sinks
can be either a demonstration or an experiment.  A teacher can socratically
show that Diet Pepsi and Pepsi are essentially the same with the exception
of sugar content.  Diet Pepsi has nutrasweet as opposed to sugar.  I have
turned a lot of people into Diet Pepsi drinkers by putting Pepsi and Diet
Pepsi on a two pan balance dumping sugar onto the can of Diet Pepsi until
they balance out.  (It takes close to 20 grams.)  A teacher can also turn it
into a discovery lab, where students are asked to determine the density of
both liquids by water displacement.  In the process they will observe that
one floats and one sinks.  Ask the students to offer an explanation as to
why.  If they read the contents of the soda they will see differences in the
ingredients.  Several exeriments/demonstrations like this will be presented.

I am not a CPS teacher, I run Science Theatre Productions, a company that
performs exciting demonstration shows in schools all over Chicago.  The
demos I do in that show aren't really accessible to most teachers.  Some
people may have seen it at the Science Fair last March.  In doing
professional development, I encourage teachers to expand their science
capabilities without necessarily breaking the bank.  Some very impressive
demonstrations can be purchased for $1.00 at the grocery store, and they
help students visualize science.

The curricula for this particular session is made to align with general
science topics in the K-8 grade levels.  I know thats a broad range, but
these experiments can be made a simple or as complex as you like, the
science is always the same.

I hope that answers your questions, if you have any others, please feel free
to contact me.

Mike Davis
Science Theatre Productions
www.stproductions.net