Today, President Bush proclaimed Friday, September 14, 2001,
     as a National Day of Prayer & Remembrance for the Victims of
     the Terrorist Attacks on September 11.

     In response, Secretary Paige issued a statement, saying, "We
     hope that during the school day tomorrow, educators across the
     country will consider having a moment of silence to be
     observed in classrooms or in a larger assembly of students as
     part of our National Day of Prayer & Remembrance for the
     Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on Sept. 11, 2001."

     The Secretary's full statement & the President's complete
     proclamation are below.  They're also available at
     http://www.ed.gov/

Statement of U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige
Regarding the National Day of Prayer & Remembrance
for the Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on Sept. 11, 2001

President George W. Bush has offered all Americans an opportunity
to remember the loss of life that has resulted from the attack that
took place earlier this week, & that has left its mark on our
hearts & minds.  There are students across this country who will
want to join in honoring the memory of the thousands of victims of
these brutal attacks & offering comfort to those who have lost
loved ones, as President Bush has suggested.  Therefore, we hope
that during the school day tomorrow, educators across the country
will consider having a moment of silence to be observed in
classrooms or in a larger assembly of students as part of our
National Day of Prayer & Remembrance for the Victims of the
Terrorist Attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

National Day of Prayer & Remembrance for the Victims Of the
Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

On Tuesday morning, September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked America
in a series of despicable acts of war.  They hijacked four
passenger jets, crashed two of them into the World Trade Center's
twin towers & a third into the Headquarters of the U.S. Department
of Defense at the Pentagon, causing great loss of life & tremendous
damage.  The fourth plane crashed in the Pennsylvania countryside,
killing all on board but falling well short of its intended target
apparently because of the heroic efforts of passengers on board.
This carnage, which caused the collapse of both Trade Center towers
& the destruction of part of the Pentagon, killed more than 250
airplane passengers & thousands more on the ground.

Civilized people around the world denounce the evildoers who
devised & executed these terrible attacks.  Justice demands that
those who helped or harbored the terrorists be punished -- &
punished severely.  The enormity of their evil demands it.  We will
use all the resources of the United States & our cooperating
friends & allies to pursue those responsible for this evil, until
justice is done.

We mourn with those who have suffered great & disastrous loss.  All
our hearts have been seared by the sudden & sense-less taking of
innocent lives.  We pray for healing & for the strength to serve &
encourage one another in hope & faith.

Scripture says: "Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be
comforted."  I call on every American family & the family of
America to observe a National Day of Prayer & Remembrance, honoring
the memory of the thousands of victims of these brutal attacks &
comforting those who lost loved ones.  We will persevere through
this national tragedy & personal loss.  In time, we will find
healing & recovery; and, in the face of all this evil, we remain
strong & united, "one Nation under God."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States
of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the
Constitution & laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim
Friday, September 14, 2001, as a National Day of Prayer &
Remembrance for the Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on September
11, 2001.  I ask that the people of the United States & places of
worship mark this National Day of Prayer & Remembrance with
noontime memorial services, the ringing of bells at that hour, &
evening candlelight remembrance vigils.  I encourage employers to
permit their workers time off during the lunch hour to attend the
noontime services to pray for our land.  I invite the people of the
world who share our grief to join us in these solemn observances.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirteenth day
of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand one, & of the
Independence of the United States of America the two hundred &
twenty-sixth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

          Kirk Winters & Peter Kickbush
          U.S. Department of Education