On 08/05/2017 04:11 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
On 05/08/17 09:18, ToddAndMargo wrote:
On 08/01/2017 11:17 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
Hi All,

Twice now in a month, on booting up my SL 7.3 computer,
after entering my LUKS passphrase, it freezes
at "Disabling IRQ 16".  <ctrl>alt><f2> doesn't
do a thing. Everything is frozen.  The one fingered
reset works.

Am I starting to lose my motherboard or is this a "feature"
of 7.3?

Many thanks,
-T

I tried adding "irqpoll" to my kernel run line (grub.cfg).

After rebooting, I noticed that right after "Disabling IRQ16", I got an
"irq18 nobody cares (try booting with irqpoll option)".  Then it ran for
a bit and OH NO "Kernel panic: CPU 4 PID 0 comm: swapper/4 tainted" and
my keyboard's light started flashing.

The kernel panic reproduced twice before I removed "irqpoll" and I was
able to boot again.

Did this tell us something?

Have you looked into the BIOS/UEFI settings in regards to which devices
uses IRQ 16 or IRQ 18?  What kind of motherboard is it?

My motherboard is a Supermicro X8SAX
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8SAX.cfm

I will have to ask supermicro what those two IRQs are for.

--
Computers are like air conditioners.