The Department of my spouse is now using Brother over HP printer/scanners.  To duplicate what she has in her office, we purchased the same machine for our use, a Brother dcpl2540dw.  I installed the Brother proprietary Linux drivers, and using the SL 7 printer configuration application (CUPS based), had no issues with getting the printer to print a test page using our home IEEE 802.11 network.   However, it appears that the dcpl2540dw will not scan to a USB device, unlike the HP unit, but only to a computer on a network.  Has anyone been able to get the Brother dcpl2540dw to operate as a network scanner?

The computer in her office has the printer physically near her office tower workstation (not a laptop), and is connected USB. Thus, there is no network connection to the printer in her office, unlike at home.  However, in neither case have I been able to get the scanning functionality to work.

Also, what application does one use to accept the scan or to allow the scanner to produce a .pdf file on the target computer? I simply scanned to a MS FAT file system USB memory stick on the HP unit, but evidently the Brother does not have this capability. Once on a memory stick, the PDF file easily could be accessed on a SL7 system.

I have found a systems tool that is claimed to simplify the process and not depend upon updates from Brother as new releases of Linux appear:

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/brother_dcp_l2540dw.html

Has anyone used this application?  If so, any comments?  Is there any GPL, etc., application with similar functionality?

Thanks for any information.

Yasha Karant