Thank you for you comments.

Below is the output from mount

/dev/sdc1 on /run/media/ykarant/USB20FD type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

/dev/sdb on /run/media/ykarant/e8df2b54-0637-4570-868b-9e542bf9a21f type
xfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota,uhelper=udisks2)

both of the /dev devices mentioned above are "automatic" from insertion
into a USB jack (port) on a SL7 machine.  The first is a 32 Gbyte flash
drive "stick" with a works-installed MS file system, the second is an
external 2 Tbyte USB harddrive with a XFS file system that is a dd copy
of a partition from another SL 7 machine (that is having difficulties --
the partition is /home and the data is important).  Note that the second
is mounted as /dev/sdb (it was inserted before the flash drive), not as
/dev/sdb1 .

2 Tbyte presumably is not "small", but nonetheless is mounted as
/dev/xyz not /dev/xyzN .  parted and gparted have no difficulties with
either external USB drive once /dev/xyz "automatically" is created.

The relevant outputs from parted run as root on the devices -- these
contain/are mounted partitions:

Using /dev/sdc
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: PNY USB 2.0 FD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 31.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
  1      4129kB  31.0GB  31.0GB  primary  fat32        lba

Using /dev/sdb
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: WD My Passport 25E1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
  1      0.00B  2000GB  2000GB  xfs

Note that mount on the system reporting the above has no issue with
mounting a /dev/xyz device not as /dev/xyzN

Yasha Karant