On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 9:06 AM Laura Hild <l...@jlab.org> wrote:

> > No! No. No LVM! Bad admin, no biscuit!
> > [...]
> > *Bad* admin. Where's my squirt bottle?
>
> Yeah, I wrote "if you're a slice-and-dicer" for a reason.  One big root is a
> fine option, but it's not the situation I was imagining where one is
> concerned with shrinkability.  I think having hard limits on the growth of
> certain subtrees can be helpful, and sometimes different mount options.  I'm
> Kickstarting rather than imaging, so I don't have a problem including the
> hostname in the name of the Volume Group.  Everyone has different objectives
> (and I'm skeptical lack of LVM would have adequately protected you from your
> predecessors' and colleagues' :)).

Various options for various filesystems is considered a big deal CIS
compliance. I consider it a completely destabilizing waste of time
better spent elsewhere.

Avoiding LVM and its tendency to  use identical volume names in VM
images is.... a problem in cloud or VM environments where you may wish
to mount and access a previous snapshot of the same VM. Itt's much
easier to cut sections off a long rope than try to tie a bunch of
short pieces to make the rope you need, when trying to tie up loose
ends.