The difficulty of cracking the mainstream media is illustrated by a
conversation film critic Elvis Mitchell had with Roger Greenblatt,
president of Entertainment at Showtime Networks on his radio
program, "the Treatment."

http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?
show_code=tt&air_date=4/27/05&tmplt_type=show

Mr. Greenblatt, while at FOX green-lighted such shows as "the X-
files," and "In Living Color."  As a producer he has produced "Six
Feet Under" for HBO and "The Hughleys" for UPN.  He is friends with
John Ridley, and he acknowledges that "Soul Food" was one of the
highest rated programs ever broadcast by Showtime.  He recognizes
that there is a dearth of good programming for black audiences, yet
the best he can do, after talking about how important it is to take
chances and try new ways of telling stories, is translating the
Barbershop movies into a television show.  Which, I guess, is not so
surprising when his contributions to black television are "The
Hughleys," "One on One," "Eve" and the short-lived John Ridley hip-
hopera, "Platinum."

~(no)rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Like many of y'all have said--better than me, I might add--it
ultimately
> boils down to us controlling our own. Between whites that are
> prejudiced, whites that aren't prejudiced but let market factors
shaped
> by *other* whites influence their decisions, and whites that simply
> don't get it, we're always fighting an uphill battle. Why are so
many
> Blacks in scifi often used as aliens that are either weird looking,
or
> "noble savages"? I've complained more than once that Stargate SG-1
and
> Atlantis each use the noble savage in Teal'c and Teyla. Did you know
> that Rodney's character (the nerdy, grouchy, scary genius on
Atlantis)
> was originally written for a Black man? The producers claim they
> couldn't find a Brother to really fit the role, so they brought in
> Rodney! Even then, what was odd was that the man they wanted was
> described as "an elderly Black man". I have *nothing* against older
> actors. Indeed, I celebrate their usage, which is too infrequent.
But
> it's strange that so often white geniuses (Daniel Jackson, Samatha
> Carter) are often depicted as young, vibrant, and attractive, but
Black
> ones--when depicted--are often older, nerdier, unattractive.
Strange.