racist views?

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blasphemy!!! LOL.

Conan did stuff like that in the books all the time. Conan, Tarzan,
Doc Savage and other "peak humans" regularly perform flatout
seemingly superhuman feats so those have never bugged me.

The only thing that bugged me about the movies was the origin story.
Conan as a placid slave/gladiator didn't mesh with the book version
of a wild, skinny youth who:

-Was part of the Cimmerian army that sacked Venarium when he was 15.
It was a pivotal battle in that universe and only time the Cimmerians
were united as an army. The destruction of Venarium stopped the
Aquilonians from expanding into Cimmeria.

-Was captured by the Hyperboreans and enslaved. This lead to his life
long hatred of them.

-Escaped into the wilderness and promptly started killing zombie
kings, demi-gods, frost giants and the like.

Another nitpick: Thulsa Doom was a Kull villain and was totally
different than his movie namesake. Thoth-Amon was Conan's great
nemesis.

As you can see I devoured that stuff when I was a kid. When I grew up
and found out more about Robert E. howard it dampened my love for the
stories.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Both Conan movie finales. In the first Conan flick (which I love) i
thought Conan overcoming Thulsa Doom's mental control to chop off his
head was anticlimactic. He wobbled for a bit, then starts swinging
the sword. Always feel let down by that one.

> And in Conan the Destroyer, the fight with the "god" at the end is
just laughable. With the obvious fake lightning and thunder
(stagehands flickering the lights and hitting metal sheets with
hammers) Conan jumps on the underworld creature and literally tears
its mouth open to kill it. Supposed to be a big deal, but seemed
stupid to me. Who's he supposed to be, Hercules?

> From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > During our discussion about over the top with bad plot block
busters, we
> > started talking about over the worse saves in speculative fiction
> > movies. So far two were raised. They are:
> >
> > 1. "Data putting the freakin' Borg *to sleep* to save the day in
Star
> > Trek Next Generation
> >
> > 2. How Jeff Goldblum was able to with "his Mac laptop and a few
hours of
> > virus coding couldn't topple the computer system of a
technologically